When was the last time you went on a date with your spouse? That long huh? Yep I think 75% or more of us can totally relate. Seriously, between all the duties and responsibilities for both parents it’s a miracle when we actually get to go on a date. Finding a babysitter, putting on fancy clothes, and getting all dolled up, that all takes a lot of time and for most of us parents that’s something we don’t have a lot of. Don’t get me wrong, getting to go on a real date outside of the house is super fun and needs to happen, but in reality it just doesn’t happen as often as it should.
A marriage needs be strengthened and the way that happens is by spending time connecting and growing with your spouse. When you are connected you are stronger. Your marriage is stronger, your love is stronger, you two as parents are stronger, and all together your family as a whole is stronger. That is vital for a family. The worst thing to happen is to get swept up in the day to day and next thing you know its been 2 years since your last date, you can’t remember the last time you did something out of the blue for your spouse, and that little spark you once had is barely lit or its put out altogether. Sad, but true. If we don’t take time to connect with our spouse we are leaving room to grow apart. We have to stay connected if we expect to grow together.
So my solution to this little problem of ours is just throwing in a date-night-in here and there. No babysitter, no time restrains, and in the comfort of your own home. A date where I can show up in yoga pants, or even naked if I so dare, and still drink wine sounds like a huge win for me. In all honesty, I was totally serious about showing up naked. Come on guys, your married, be a little adventurous. Some of these date-night-in ideas you are probably going to laugh at, but I dare you to be bold and try them or at least just one. You will be surprised by how much fun you both have.
First things first! Some of these ideas are for when the kids are fast asleep in bed. I’m sure that’s just understood, but like my mom always says, “I just had to say it.”
So these ideas range from fun, to silly, to even intimate. Now don’t shy away from the more intimate ideas, live a little.
10 Off The Wall Date Night In Ideas
1. STRIP CARD GAME | I would say strip poker, but if you’re anything like me then you don’t know the first thing about poker so just pick a card game you both like and know how to play. Rules are simple. Loser has to take off a piece of clothing. That’s it! It’s not brain surgery.
2. TRUTH OR DARE | I bet once you read that you had a flashback to your teenage years, am I right? Its always fun to act like a kid again, so play a few rounds of truth and dare and see how crazy it gets. You can tweak the rules to your liking but an easy way to play is if a player chooses not to answer the truth question or do the dare they have to__________insert consequence of your choice. You could just say looses a piece of clothing. It is a date and we all know how this will end so just make it easier on you. *Wink Wink*
3. MASSAGE | Take turns giving each other a 10 minute massage and, like always, do it naked! A massage with clothes on is just, in my opinion, pointless. When you get a professional massages your naked, or close to it, so why do it any other way.
4. STAR GAZING | On a clear night lay a blanket out in the grass and do some star gazing. This date holds a special place in my heart and maybe that’s just because my husband purposed underneath the stars and I had told God 2 years earlier that’s exactly how I wanted to be purposed to. (My husband had no idea.)
5. BOARD GAME | I’m sure you can’t even remember the last time you played a board game and if you do its been quite some time. So bring out all the board games and get a little competitive.
6. WOULD YOU RATHER | This can be a very fun game to play, but it can also get quite interesting. Just incase you have never played here are the rules. One person asks the other if they would rather A or B and you have to pick one no mater what. For example; would you rather win free air fare or free gas for life? That’s a pretty simple and generic example so feel free to expand and get as weird as you like.
7. COOKING COMPETITION | Since this is happening after the kids are in bed I suggest you make desserts. Now I get that you wont have anyone to really judge since you are at home and all the kids are in bed, so just save them and let your kids be the judge the next day, but remember don’t tell them who made what. Raise the stakes by choosing something the looser has to do or something the winner gets. Be creative.
8. PIN THE TAIL ON THE DONKEY | Now I’m sure the last time you played this game you were probably 5 and at your cousin Susie’s birthday party. I can guarantee that seeing your spouse blindfolded, dizzy and trying to find a paper donkey is going to make you both laugh more in this one night than you probably have all month. You can make this game a little intimate by making the looser of each round loose a piece of clothing! You knew I was going to say that, didn’t you!? What can I say?
9. CHARADES | If I had to choose my all time favorite game it would probably be charades or any of the games similar to it like Taboo. When I play these games I go from Nice Nancy to Competitive Kate reallll fast. Don’t’ be afraid to be silly, its just you and your spouse and you guys are way past the awkward 1stdate phase so you have nothing to loose.
10. DREAM | When was the last time you talked to your spouse about your deepest hearts desires? Has it been a while? Do you even know what your spouse’s biggest dream is or goal in life? I love the times my husband and I just sit and dream together. We talk about our goals with business, what we would do if we were making crazy money, where we want to travel, and things we want to do as a family. No matter what, the conversation always ends with my husband listing out all the people he would want to bless, and I’m not talking give them $100. My husband wants to buy these people new cars, houses, and even businesses. (We think big when we dream!) It was these dreaming sessions with my husband that truly showed me the depths of his heart, so I urge you to dream with your spouse. It’s truly beautiful.
Some rules to follow for your date-night-in. These are super simple rules, they are just there to help you connect better with you spouse.
First off, make it a Tech-Free night. Turn off the TV, close the computers, and if you have to, put your phone on silent. Get rid of the distractions and give your spouse your undivided attention.
Next, don’t go into the night with this high expectation that the nights going to bring sunshine and rainbows from the moment you start to the moment your head hits the pillow. This will just put pressure on you and your spouse meaning you both will forget to just let loose and have fun.
Last, be bold and step out of your comfort zone. If one of these ideas sounded fun but you had the thought, “I wouldn’t do that, I’d be so embarrassed.” I challenge you to try that exact one! Remember you’re a team and there isn’t anything to be embarrassed about.
Guys, everybody has a day to day life and for most of us it’s the day to day that consumes us. We don’t have to let it consume our marriage. So go plan your date-night-in and connect with your spouse!
Deeply Rooted Mom Community!
Get our newsletter, freebies, updates, and more sent straight to your inbox so you never miss a thing.