**Disclaimer! We are no longer fully vegan but continue to enjoy many vegan meals and still absolutely love these Fishless Tacos!
Tons of people think giving up meat & dairy is so far beyond them. Well I’m here to tell you, first hand, it’s really not as hard as we all think it will be. From me, that says a lot. Especially with dairy. Before I was vegan I ate cheese like it was going out of style, my favorite dips where anything with sour cream, coffee was not complete without whole milk or half and half, and mayo was my jam.
Luckily, now a-days there is a vegan substitute for literally everything you can think of. This made transitioning 10 million times easier. It gave me the ability to take our family favorite meals and just substitute out the meat and dairy with vegan options. This kept our food familiar and let us work up to exploring more “exotic” vegan food.
My family’s all-time favorite meal is fish tacos! No doubt, my husband’s last meal request would be fish tacos. Hands Down! So, in the beginning I made it my mission to veganize it, and by golly I did it. Not only did I do it, but the vegan recipe is 10 times easier than the real fish, hand breaded one I use to make. Luckily this was the first recipe I tried, and it was such a success I didn’t have to try any more. One day I’ll venture out but for now this one has our hearts
Look how delightfully delicious those fishless tacos are, and I promise you they taste even better than they look. One of the main components of this recipe is a homemade creamy chipotle lime dressing that is killer so there was no making these tacos without finding a vegan alternative and guess what? I DID IT! This dressing can be used on quesadillas, veggie bowls, or even tacos. It really is just that good. So, lets dive into the recipe.
- 2 Bags Gardein Golden Fishless Filets
- 1 Bag Flour Tortillas
- 1 Pkg. Crispy Fried Onions
- 2 Cups Lettuce Chopped
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 1/3 Red Onion Chopped
- 1 Batch Creamy Chipotle Dressing
Creamy Chipotle Dressing
- 1 Cup Vegan Mayo*
- 1/2-1 Tbsp Chipotle Peppers in Abedo Sauce (Adjust for heat preference.)
- 1 tsp Garlic Minced
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2-1 Lime Juiced
- On a non-stick cookie sheet lay out the filets and bake according to package directions.
- While the filets are baking make your Vegan Chipotle Dressing.
- Next chop your lettuce and tomato then set aside.
- When the filets are done cut them into about ¾in pieces. Of course, this doesn’t have to be exact, just chop them up so that they fit better in your tortilla.
- Lastly just assemble your fishless taco with the cut up filets, lettuce, fried onions, chopped tomatoe, and top with a drizzle of the creamy chipotle dressing. Enjoy!
Creamy Chipotle Dressing
- First take the can of Chipotle Peppers in Abedo Sauce and cut open each pepper and scrap out all the seeds. Discard the seeds and ends of each pepper. Then add the peppers and sauce into a blender and blend for 20-30 seconds.
- In a bowl mix just ½ a tablespoon of the chipotle mixture along with all the remaining ingredients in a bowl.TIP: Start with only ½ a Tablespoon of the chipotle sauce and ½ a Lime. Mix together and taste. Then, depending on how hot you want it, add in more chipotle sauce. If your lime is on the dry side, go ahead and juice the whole lime. If it’s a juicy lime then only ½ to start with, taste and then add more depending on your preference!
Set aside or chill in the fridge for at least an hour before use. This lets the flavor strengthen a little!
- Last take your reaming chipotle sauce and freeze it. I like to freeze it in a plastic baggie and then just break off pieces when I need it. It makes one can last me at least 4 times, sometimes up to 6.
These fishless tacos are loved by my whole family, kids included. So, I bet even some of your picky eaters will surprise you and love it too. Go ahead and try this recipe and I promise, it won’t fail you.
Let me know what you think about it or if you make any changes, so we can try it too. Enjoy!
Deeply Rooted Mom Community!
Get our newsletter, freebies, updates, and more sent straight to your inbox so you never miss a thing.