Taco Salad is another one of my favorite meals, actually who am I kidding, I love any and every kind of Mexican food. I grew up in Texas eating TexMex and there is just nothing quite like it. I have lived out of the state for going on 7 years now and boy do I miss the food like something bad. Once in a while I’ll find some good Mexican food but nothing that can compare to good ole TexMex.
I may have grown up eating Mexican food right and left but cooking it was a whole different story. This Taco Salad was introduced to me by my sister-in-law the first time I ever had dinner at her house. The first bite threw me for a loop but was surprisingly amazing.
When I made my plate in the kitchen it was kind of dark so the cheese sauce I thought I was putting on top turned out to be something totally different. It wasn’t until I took my first bite that I realized I was wrong, very, very wrong.
I couldn’t figure out what the sauce was made of, but it was delicious. I remember eating my whole bowl and then going back for seconds. Yes, it’s that good. Honestly, if I would have known what was in the sauce before I doused my whole bowl in it, I probably would have never tried it. Nowadays I would have tried it in a heartbeat, but back then I was never one to broaden my horizons when it came to food.
Some of you may think I’m crazy for saying I would never have tried it, but this is coming from a girl whose salad dressing was Ranch and only Ranch the entire time she was growing up. So, when I found out that one of the ingredients for the sauce was Thousand Island dressing I was shocked because I actually liked it. Now that I think about it, this may have been the moment that made me start to broaden my horizons. Huh. Who knew.
The best part about this recipe is that the ingredients are super simple, and you can throw the whole thing together in 20 minutes or less. For our family this is always a huge win since we need a quick and easy meal at least 2 times a week. Meaning this meal is a regular in our house.
Trust me when I say your whole family will love this meal. Both my kids love it and they’re toddlers. So, if that doesn’t tell you it’s delicious then I don’t know what will.
- 1 lb Ground Beef Lean
- 1/2 small Onion Diced
- 1 can Chili Beans
- 2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 Cup Mild Salsa
- 1 Cup Thousand Island Dressing
- Nacho Cheese Doritos or Tortilla Chips
- Chopped Romain Lettuce or Salad Bag
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Olives
- Diced Onion
- Diced Tomatoes
- In a skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef. Half way through cooking the meat add in the 1/2 a small diced yellow onion. Cook until the onions are translucent and the beef is cooked all the way through. Right before the meat gets completely cooked add in the salt, pepper and cumin. Give it a good stir and let cook for a few minutes or until the meat is cooked throughly.
- When the ground beef is finished browning add in the can of chili beans and mix. Once it's fully mixed lower the heat so that the meat mixtures just stays warm but doesn't burn.
- While the meat is staying warm you will want to prepare all your toppings. This means chop up the lettuce, olives, onions, and tomatoes. Shred your cheddar cheese and mix up your sauce.
- *The important part about the sauce is to just do equal parts of both the salsa and the Thousand Island Dressing. For the Salsa you can use any kind you like, even the regular Pace Picante Sauce works great.
- Once all your mix ins are ready you can start making your bowl. The easiest way to prepare each plate is to just do it bar style. This way each person can make their plate exactly how they like it.
- The first thing we do when preparing our Taco Salad is to put the chips at the bottom and break them up into smaller pieces. Next, we add in a scoop of the beef and bean mixture. Then we add in our lettuce, cheese, olives, onions, tomatoes, and end with a couple dollops of sauce.
- TIP: Get a couple larger mixing bowls and have each person prepare their Taco Salad in the mixing bowl and then mix it all together before transferring it to their plate. This makes for an easier and cleaner eating experience.
If your family is anything like mine, then they’re going to love this meal after just one bite and it will soon become a regular in your house to. If you try the recipe or make any changes comment below because I’d love to hear what you think or what changes you made.
Deeply Rooted Mom Community!
Get our newsletter, freebies, updates, and more sent straight to your inbox so you never miss a thing.